Wednesday, September 30, 2009

TAST...The Ones That Were Not

Hi everyone! I bet you thought I was gone. Well...no, not yet. I leave tomorrow for a two week trip to the States. I've had a storage unit there for over 20 years...it's time to clean it out. I have no idea what is even in it anymore. I'm sure it's all junk. So, it's work time in Slippery Rock. Oh, I'm sure it won't all be work....plenty of play as well!!! I've been enjoying the last few days of summer and the beginning of fall. I can never tell which is which so I just enjoy them all! I achieved my bicycle goal....I've ridden over 2000 kilometers this season. I am hoping for a few more good days of riding when I get back but will have to see how the weather is. I've also been very busy with TAST. Actually, the challenge is done. I think I heard that I get extra credit for finishing so early! ha ha I have to say though, I changed things around a bit. It took me awhile to catch on (like almost a year) but I finally realized that TAST (Take A Stitch Tuesday...a new stitch a week for a year for those of you who are not familiar with the program) is MY challenge. So I replaced some of the original challenge stitches with stitches that fit my style of embroidery. And I don't feel guilty!!! So....here's some examples of the TAST stitches that were NOT on the original list...


I enjoy couching alot. There are so many different couching stitches. This one can be done with so many different type threads! It's a neat look.


I couldn't get enough of this one!


Another really neat stitch and very easy to do. I worked it with several different threads including nylon ribbon.



OK...I think this is actually on the original TAST list but it is a great stitch! I love it! I learned through TAST that I really like the knotted stitches. And pretty much don't like the chain stitches.


This is just one example of canvas stitching. I like working on canvas and need to explore the possibilities further.

Probably my favorite from all the stitches I did. I've always wanted to do cutwork but never thought I was good enough. So where better to practice than by TAST?! This sample is wonderful....it shows what NOT to do as well as what to do. The count is very important. The correct fabric is very important too (I learned the hard way on this example!). I have wonderful books that are very good with cutwork explanations and I think that I really can do it!!

Another fun stitch. I think this one works best with yarns. This is a great one for flowers!
Well, there's a walk through of a few of my stitches that were not. I hope you enjoy them. My hubby came up with a great idea for a book for my TAST samples. I have one now but I don't like anything about it except that they are all together. So that's another project for fall and winter.

5 comments:

Emmy said...

have a great time and have lots of fun see you soon and thanks for all the lovely comments on my blog
warm regards Emmy

Kathy A. said...

A storage unit for 20 years - oh my - you will be stunned by what you find there. Have a lovely trip - have some good fun -
Love all those different stitches - great way to learn

Susan Lenz said...

Great stitches! You'll have to teach me how to do them!
Love,
Your sister
Susan
(who is awfully glad I live far, far away from the twenty-year old storage unit and will not be available to help!)

em's scrapbag said...

Enjoy your trip. All the stitches where fun. I really like the flower one. I also have wanted to do cut work. But don't know when that will happen.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Safe travels!

What a bunch of cool stitches!