Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hardanger Progress

I was going to tell you that spring in Munich is wonderful. The forsythia are blooming, the trees are starting to bud, the streets have been cleaned. I was going to tell you all that, but it's snowing so I'll just tell you that it's a very typical spring time here in Munich.

And everything is fine.

I've been having fun with my hardanger piece.


And lots of fun trying to think of new things to do.



I like using contrasting color on this practice piece.



And seeing how varied I can make each little motif.

This very thin yarn was exceptionally neat to work with and I also using floss as long as it is something that lays flat.
At the moment, the piece is on the back burner. I am busy repairing a hand sewn quilt that my Dad gave me 15 years ago or maybe even longer. He got each of us girls a summer quilt and a winter quilt, one from China, the other from Korea. I can't remember which is which. I do know though that they were all very loosely sewn and the stitches are very spread out. So years later, there's lots of repair work to do. The cat loves it....she thinks I'm doing it all for her. She gets to make a little nest in it. But boy does she yell when it's time to move the thing around!
Well, I'm off to the grocery store now...it will be such a lovely spring walk, getting wet in the snow.





2 comments:

Susan Elliott said...

Snow!!! How lucky for your spring walk!

OK...I find the first few pictures of your hardanger sampler captivating....I am loving how the different sections are morphing together...and the contrast of the use of different size threads and hole sizes all together...it's making it so much more interesting than the perfectly laid out, perfectly planned exactitude of the old hardanger style.

I think you are onto something!

essays said...

very beautiful!