Saturday, August 8, 2009

Outing to Grossglockner

We are having a wonderful vacation. The weather is cooperating and everything is so nice and relaxed. We went on an overnight trip to see GrossGlockner, the highest peak in Austria. I've made the trip a couple of times before but never actually saw the mountain. This time was different...this time there wasn't a cloud in the sky when we were at the glacier. It clouded up as we headed to the peak.


The trip up to the Edelweiss Spitz (2571 meters high) is not for the faint hearted. I have to admit, I was sort of freaking out a little at times this time up the "hill". Most of the time, there is sort of a guardrail. Or just rocks strategically placed. And sometimes, well, as you can see in the above picture, there isn't much at all. As you can also see from the picture, I wasn't taking any chances! I drove as far away from that edge as possible!



But, it wasn't always possible!!!


I thought alot about my mother. She wouldn't have liked it. Not at all. I have to admit, I didn't see everything along the way. I was amazed when I looked at the pictures that Reinhard took hanging out the window. Yes, that is another thing my mother would have disliked immensely....the photographing while hanging out the window!


From the peak, I did manage to see the "big guy" through the clouds.


As you can see, the glacier side was clear as a bell. It was absolutely amazing. The glacier itself is shrinking at an alarmingly fast rate. The view is incredible though and we certainly lucked out with the weather.


You can see the Grossglockner from many places as you head up the park. And on such a beautiful day, it takes hours to drive on all the roads because each turn brings an even more breathtaking view and I had to stop to take pictures.


As you can see from above, lots and lots of people had the same idea that we did. We are fortunate to have had an early start because I'm sure this traffic jam (can you imagine...a traffic jam at Austria's highest elevation!) was even worse by midafternoon.


I have to say, I am inspired by what I saw. I am humbled by the world around me. I am thankful I have the opportunity to experience. If you would like to see more pictures, please check out The Camera Lenz. I've got a slideshow posted.

7 comments:

verobirdie said...

I went there several times, some 40 years ago as a kid.
I don't think i'd like driving this road now, I feel very much like you and your mother :-)
Thanks for the nice pictures.

Susan Elliott said...

i am in awe of the beauty of the trip you took...the slide show was great. I don't think my mother would have liked it either -- she would have been too nervous the entire time and not enjoyed the scenery...

SONYASPHERE said...

Beautiful!

Susan Lenz said...

Echoing Sonya's comment: BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL,BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL,BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL,BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL,....
Susan

Elizabeth Braun said...

Austria is just the best, isn't it? We did a driving tour through some of the central continent last July and we went to Achensee from south Germany - beautiful drive! Even DH couldn't help but admire it from the winding roads!

Yes, I think underskirt would translate to slip in US English. We tend to refer to a full length undergarment (kind of an underdress) as a slip, but they're not common these days at all. Anyway, I did the elastic in my 3 underskirts the other night whilst scanning patterns from stitching mags to take with me!!=)

Ooof! Someone gave you a plant? Eeek? Was that before your international move?? I've been saying to friends for a while, 'No stuff, please' In fact, several have been given or loaned things of ours! We've been planning all this stuff since the beginning of the year - could we afford it etc? Then, when I heard I'd got the funding, it was all systems go and that was 4.5 months before departure date...which is in only 8 days now. Eeek!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Beautiful picutres, gorgeous scenery! Boy I would of loved to have been there with you!

SONYASPHERE said...

Sweet...I love driving up there, I feel so powerful making the bends and turns...of course I hate having to pass other cars..I don't even like passing bikers! Great photos.